We’re excited to announce that over $100K in Ops21 Grants have been awarded to seven NYC manufacturers in 2019.
What are Ops21 Grants?
Ops21 is a multi-faceted program designed to help NYC manufacturers learn about and adopt advanced technologies. To lessen the cost of implementation, the program provided grants to NYC manufacturers for implementing advanced technologies in the areas of digital manufacturing, materials, and robotics. Ops21 Grant funds have been generously provided via the Futureworks NYC Ops21 program, which is funded by the New York City Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC) and led by ITAC.
Who are this year’s recipients?
Digital Manufacturing Grants
The following companies received grants to implement production system upgrades and improvements, aimed at increasing data flow, system efficiencies and capabilities, and improving quality inspection.
- Rich Brilliant Willing Studio LLC – Brooklyn-based lighting design studio and manufacturer, specializing in the creation of LED fixtures for hospitality, workplace, and residential projects.
- Sussman Automatic Corp – Queens-based electric boiler manufacturer, producing top quality steam shower systems and steam shower accessories.
- White Coffee Corp – Queens-based coffee roaster and packager, purchasing and blending high-end coffees for the high-end food service and retail trades.
Advanced Materials Grants
The following company received a grant to implement research and development, in collaboration with Cornell’s Center for Materials Research, an Ops21 partner. It involves purchasing equipment to expand capabilities, and developing a much-needed standardized, analytical method to qualify quality and make up of critical industry materials.
- Vartest Laboratories – Manhattan-based testing laboratory, focusing on fiber, yarn, fabric, apparel testing.
The following companies received grants to implement collaborative robots or advanced technology in their operations. These projects support and optimize operations, improving production processes while freeing up resources to complete higher value-added activities.
- Catbird NYC – Brooklyn-based jewelry designer and manufacturer, creating rings, necklaces, bracelets, and earrings with recycled/fair-trade gold and conflict-free stones.
- Lee Spring Co – Brooklyn-based manufacturer of stock springs, custom springs and related products for a wide variety of industries.
- Martel Design & Fabrication – Brooklyn-based custom architectural metalwork company, producing high-end fixtures, doors, shelving, staircases and railings for residential and commercial projects.
Keep an eye out for future Ops21 Grant Recipient announcements!